Monday, 29 March 2010

Game Room - My Thoughts

So Game Room is a new "hub" of old school 8 bit games that's available on XBox 360 as a download. When I heard about it I was not impressed to be perfectly honest. It sounded like they were re-releasing games like "Scrambled" and sticking them in a virtual arcade. Stupidly they know they will sell so its a losing battle. At 240 points a arcade cabinet its a costly price for a 20 year old game.

Something that annoys me more is the separation of XBox Live Arcade, and now Game Room. Why can't they combine these two places? I have probably close to 100 arcade games, probably more. After the amount I have paid and time I have put into these, why not add these into this hub world? Give each of these titles a update and a cabinet so we can sit these in our own virtual arcades. This way the arcade feel doesn't die and Game Room instantly has a massive database of games to put in what is at the moment a empty vacant place. Doing this will also keep the joys and give the feel of a virtual busy arcade more life. But what we currently have is a empty place with 30 games on the storefront that to be honest I had trouble buying any of them.
The whole mascots and rooms thing costing is going to be broken as well. People will buy them so they will continue to make them, but why not have them come with the game you bought. You buy a game and get the mascot with it? I see that a better deal.

The good thing about this simple place is I will eventually hopefully get hold of some classic games I loved. I have been shouting for a Road Rash game to hit the arcade since they first announced the damn place, and with the whole release of probably 7 games a week, I am hoping I will get my fix soon.
I also like the cool thing of having a arcade cabinet and yes they look nice and detailed, but with the avatar standing in front of the damn thing its hard to see 1. The cabinet, and 2. what game it

Its definitely a start, and the sounds and atmosphere has been caught, but there is still a long way to go till I am spending time in this arcade, like I did playing Space Invaders & Cadillacs and Dinosaurs at my local Leisure Centre.

No comments:

Post a Comment